Thursday, July 19, 2007

Nerds on a Rope

One of the things I love about teaching is the way something as simple as the "Nerds" analogy sparked a really meaningful conversation in my work group. I know Jackie hit the nail on the head, I just can't remember what she said. I do remember thinking that we were held together by our commonalities of teaching and education. Then I realized that may be what has drawn all of us here, but the real sticky stuff is our mutual successes and failures, our struggles, tears and, the best part, the laughter. The bond of the cadre is also a part of the stick factor. We all want to belong to something, and have that something be meaningful. Even though we are not really competing, deep down we want our cadre to just edge out the other by a hair (maybe that's just me). We want out team to succeed, and that means we all get to the end together; and for all of us to finish we will need one another. So now we are bound to one another for this camp, this year, and, for the lucky ones, the rest of our lives.

No comments: